Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Frist, break all the rules says Marcus !


I love the quote in this book "It is the relationship with her immediate manager that will determine how long an employee stays, and how productive she is while she's there". There is a growing tend for managers to manage upwards to the detriment of managing their team. For me a manager will always be judged ultimately on the success of their team or indeed the business. As Jack Hayhow says the primary component of that success is the productivity of the workforce. The primary driver for productivity is the relationship the employee has with his/her manager. A focus on upwards management will work in the short term but not in the long term. A balance is required. Two great thinkers..one great concept

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How very true...unfortunately this seems to be the norm. Fortunately having had a manager that managed the team I have seen the results that this can achieve, not only for the team and business but for individuals also. Great article just wish more managers could see this!

Anonymous said...

I agree, I have worked for manager's who were on my side. They wanted me to win, and I felt their support. I wish more managers would think about the team and results, not just results.