One key frustration for me are those managers who do not see the potential in people. People are often capable of so much more than they realise. It is your role to bring out the potential and build the self confidence so that they can achieve that potential. Some questions to ask yourself:
- Do you have a reputation for building peoples confidence?
- Do you provide a positive environment for people to make a mistake and help them see this as a learning?
- The development of my people is one of my key objectives?
- Do you clearly state what is expected of them and show them what they can achieve and who they can become?
- Do you listen, really listen or do you just hear the words while you are forming your response?
- Do you have a pool of talent for the future?
These questions will help you frame in your mind how seriously you take the development of your people. Be honest, the best feedback that you can get, is in the mirror if you are willing to be honest with yourself.