Thursday, January 11, 2007

What we mean by listening...

I have published this poem before but I wanted to again as I think it is so powerful and recent readers may not have seen it. Listening is the most underutilised motivation and leadership skills in businss. Here is a poem that I always keep close at hand by Ralph Roughton which always helps me focus:

When I ask you to listen to me and you start by giving me advice, you have not done what I asked,
When I ask you to listen to me and you begin by telling me why I shouldn't feel that way, you are trampling on my feelings.
When I ask you to listen to me and you feel you have to solve my problems, you have failed me. Listen !
All I ask is that you listen, not talk or do...just hear me.
When you do something for me that I can do for myself, you contribute to my fear and inadequacy.
When you accept as simple fact that I do feel what I feel, no matter how irrational then I can quit trying to convince you and get about the business of understanding whats behind this irrational feeling.

Isn't that powerful, print it out and place it on your desk......as an incredible reminder for the leader in you.

No comments: